Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Give Thanks

Many people like to take time in November to think of all the things they are thankful for. I was challenged to write down something I was thankful for every day this month. I don't have a problem with being thankful, but I do have a problem coming up with just one thing a day. I tend to think in clusters. So I decided to work up my short list of things I am thankful for. :)

I am thankful for:

God, who is all. A child can grasp "Jesus Loves Me" yet the scholar can spend a lifetime probing the heights of God and still not fathom all that He is.
God, who has a strange sense of humor! How else could He take a child from RUSSIA, half way around the world from NY, and put her in our home and have her be JUST like me???
God, who comforts us when we mourn, smiles in satisfaction when we are happy, delights to bless us
Jehovah Jirah, the God who provides, often "exceedingly abundantly above all we ask or imagine" (paraphrase of Eph 3:20)
El Roi, the God who sees our needs and is working to meet those needs often even before we recognize them
Elohim, the God who creates amazing, beautiful, original artwork all around us every day
Jehovah Shalom, the God of peace, who brings us peace even in the midst of chaos
Jehovah Roi, the shepherd God who leads us, guides us, tends to us
Jehovah Mekeddeshem, the God who draws us on to higher living, brings us to where we can learn more of Himself
Jehovah Rapha, the healer God who has brought me to a place where I can be healthy

Rodney, who knows how to dream
- who remains faithful in a world where faithfulness is the exception, not the rule
- who desires to honor God with his life
- who still makes me laugh
Our kids - it is such a priviledge to grow with them and learn from them
Andrei, who is so tender hearted, thoughtful and caring
Oksana, who overflows with joy and exhuberance for life
Sergei, powerful in body, he is gentle and caring with the weak and unable

My mom and dad, who lovingly realeased us to move to Alaska, even when it really hurt them to do so
Awesome relatives, brothers and sisters, inlaws and outlaws, nieces, nephews, cousins and all - we're sooooo blessed to have so many GREAT ones! They say you can't choose your relatives, but if I could, I'd choose the ones I have.
GREAT friends - we have been blessed "exceedingly abundantly above all we ask or imagine" with a multitude of AMAZING friends

Pastors - Uttley, so honest and gentle in his faith, he instilled in us the passion for missions
McNabb, FRIEND, neighbor, herdsman, shepherd, he showed us that the mission field was right outside our door
Beachy, a servant who truly carries the burdens of his flock

The priviledge of having loved and lost. For Milt and Eric, knowing that they are with their Lord and Savior who loves them even more than we ever could.

Alaska, the beautiful, wild, open, peaceful, AWESOME
Victory, where the community lives, grows and learns together
This house, peaceful, beautiful, warm

Email, Snail mail, Skype, Facebook, Blogs, Phones, Cell phones, they all keep me in touch with those I love

Cars, trucks, atv's, snowplows, airplanes, they bring the miles closer

Our ice road! It is beautiful (bubbles, cracks, color), great to drive right to the house, skate on. It is cool (literally and figuratively)!!!

Electricity & not having it - it makes me mindful of how much we depend on it and helps me discover that being without it frees me to enjoy simple things like:
Cheerful chick-a-dee-dee-dee's at my feeder and washing dishes by hand - there's something so peaceful about washing dishes by hand, hanging up laundry too

Carharts! Wool socks! Fleece lined jeans! FIREWOOD!

Sunshine! Beautiful, bright, cheerful SUNSHINE!

That the house in NY sold so quickly in a poor economy, for more than we asked! No more property taxes!!! No more money pit and endless projects!

Freshly ground peanut butter! Chocolate! Reeses! Sweet juicy peaches and tart juicy apples right off your own trees.

Moonlight. Mountains. Sunsets. COLOR!!!

A HEAT wave!!!! Indoor plumbing. TP

So there's the short list. I'm sure I could come up with a ton more, but I'm sure you get the picture by now! ;) Happy THANKSgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me smile! I get so bogged down in the routine of life, I often forget the blessings around me. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne, this was beautiful! God used you today to lift my sagging spirit and nudge my soul to worship. Thank you!
    Lisa Hough

    ReplyDelete

Morning commute

Morning commute

Followers

Contributors