Saturday, June 23, 2012

Seward to Valdez

Okay, these following photos are in no particular order.  I (Rodney) was able to take an overnight trip moving a seiner (48 foot fishing boat) from the Port of Seward to the Port of Valdez.  I have no photos of the Pacific Ocean as, I am told, I was quite green at the time.  For the record I did not feed the fish.
The Boat is the Chelsea D owned and captained by a neighbor and friend who invited me to take the ride and act as an inexperienced deck hand.


                 Humpback whales were visible most of the trip. these two spouts were from a mother and calf.  Sorry I was always to slow with the camera.
                                                                  Another Spout
                                                  A glacier on the Prince William Sound.
                               This trip was taken on June 2nd and 3rd, and there is still snow at sea level.  I live at 1800 feet and the snow pack is up around 5000 to 5500 feet.  We had over 9 feet of snow  They had much more here, probably more then 25 or 30 feet.  Needless to say we saw none of the Sitka Blacktail deer.
These are porpoise and we were joined by as many as 6 on our voyage. 6 are in this photo.
A Sea Lion rookery I could not get a photo that showed all of them.  Yes the water is that color.
We did have to pass through a flow of Icebergs.  Many were larger than the Chelsea D.
+
A better Photo of my black and white friends,  I found every encounter with them thrilling.
                                Another attempt at a Whale Photo.
                                                         Sea Otters at a distance,
                                                   the Sea Otters were plentiful.

The Worthy Vessel
                                    The Falls were spectacular heading up to the pass out of Valdez.  Lots of rain adds to their beauty.

The trip was fantastic with Lori and Brian.  It was beautiful even when I was green.   We saw many Humpback whale, Sea lion, Porpoise,  and Sea Otter, a couple of Black bear and harbor seal.  Countless unidentified sea birds along with some that I knew including a Puffin.

 I still feel blessed with being afforded the opportunity to accompany them in moving the vessel and ensuring it was prepared for the upcoming seining season.  Currently Brian is Gillnetting which is where the Red Salmon and Chum salmon are caught for sale.  He will soon be seining which is used primarily for Pink Salmon or Humpies as they are also known.  Earlier this spring I helped Brian with the maintenance necessary to make sure the Chelsea D was ready to go when he could move her to Valdez.  I would love to make the trip again, and maybe see a Sitka Blacktail.

I was home a day when Brian's brother Dan stopped in and told me to grab my gun and tags.  I was in smoothed soled shoes I only wear in the house and asked him why.  He said we are going bear hunting.  I grabbed my tags and pulled the rifle out of my truck.  I climbed in his truck to find his daughter wearing flip flops telling a similar story to mine he came home and told her to get into the truck.  He was on his way home from Anchorage when he spotted a bear (black) out feeding on the grass.  To make a long story shorter, his daughter spotted the bear and we eased into position to take a better look and the bruin was sitting under a spruce tree.  After I watched it for a little while Dan told me I better shoot it.  So I did.  Well it turns out that it was blind in one eye and had a hole that went into its sinus cavities right below his eyes.  It looked like a moose kick wound.  Yes, I needed a blind bear so I could get close.

Well Dan suggested we bearbeque the bear that following Sunday while I was cutting it up.  I slow roasted most of the bear starting Saturday Night and we had a large gathering of people together on Sunday afternoon and had a wonderful time feasting on Bear and delicious food people brought to share.

Join us for an episode about   ...   a driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning commute

Morning commute

Followers

Contributors