Monday, April 23, 2012

March

 March was as beautiful as I've come to expect - mild temperatures and abundant, glorious sunshine.  We took advantage with plenty of trips out on the snow machine.  If you look closely, you can see two moose on the hill in the foreground on the far right. 


This is a view of Victory from Inspiration Point, where John Gillespie, the camp founder, used to often go to pray.

It was a rough year for the moose with so much snow.  They traveled on the roads more than normal to avoid the deep snow.  As a result, many more moose killed by vehicles this winter than normal.  We had way more close calls than I care to count!  So thankful for God's protection while driving this winter! 


The moose were abundant in camp too!


Sunrises are too early now for me to see them, but there was a short period of time when they coincided with my walk to camp to work.  Here's one from that short week!


I just couldn't let this one pass.  We don't get many commercial planes flying over and it painted such a beautiful picture with the clear blue sky in the background that I couldn't ignore it!


The busybody Basket thinks she has to see out the front when you're driving so she stretches across from the back seat to the console in front.  Good thing she's a long little doggy!  In case you can't read Baskit, that face is saying, "What are you looking at?  I didn't give you permission to take my picture!"



Dan Lee and Chuck Gerwig had put in a trail to Fortress Ridge that even the ladies and kids could ride so Rodney and I went out one day to ride that.  Unfortunately we weren't certain where the trail was so we ended up going up the STEEP hill.  Rodney went first to see if I could do it.  When he got to the top I gestured to see if it was ok and I misread his gesture in return.  He was waving me off not to try it.  I thought he was urging me up.  When I got to the steepest spot, the snow was all mushy and soft.  I plowed on to see if I could get through, but didn't quite get far enough before I bogged down.  Seriously bogged down!  Good thing Rodney was there to help dig me out and turn me around! 


But it was sooooooooooo worth it! Fortress Ridge panorama overlooking the Matanuska Glacier:




White as far as the eye can see!



 Bou.  Carribou that is!

And ptarmigan.  White on white makes them hard to spot!  They just look like little shadows!

Dinner!  They were sooooooooo yummy!


Fortress Ridge from the back:


The trail in and out isn't much fun, but still worth it to get to the gorgeous scenery!  Bumpity bump bump bump!!!


P.S.  Would you look at that!  I can make the pictures bigger!  :)  Easily entertained by new blogger stuffs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning commute

Morning commute

Followers

Contributors