Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fourth of July - Alaskan style

The Glacierview Independence Day celebration seems to get bigger and better every year.  This year's celebration started out with a fly-over by four of the Kingdom Air Corps planes.  Nice job!


This was followed by a parade.  I wasn't expecting much, so I was impressed!  We've got a lot more parade-worthy people, critters and vehicles than I supposed!  I only included a few highlights.  There are actually three horses here but one is hidden behind the first.


Keep your eye on the markings on this car.  It will be important later.






Prizes were awarded for the best in each category - best red horse, best spotted horse, best black horse...  :)




Part way through the meal one of the cars was launched off the cliff.  Oops!  Mistake in communication!  They made sure people were ready for the second car to launch!  I didn't bother with video but I think I still caught the action pretty well.














 And of course everyone needs to go check out the damage when it is all over:


 Note the markings on the car.  The one in back was the same one in the parade!  They hoped to be able to drive it away and launch it again next year but I haven't heard yet if that is going to work.


The best part of any Alaskan event is the hanging out with friends and chatting.


Cassidy had a blast watching all the vehicles going by.  I think she's got a thing for loud vehicles already!


 And of course there's plenty of showing off too!


 The zip-line attracted quite a few takers.


I should have taken a picture of the food!  It was impressive!  Imagine the biggest potluck you've ever seen, then double it.  That MIGHT come close!  I didn't stay for the bowling ball cannon this year so I'm afraid I was remiss in really including the WHOLE day!  Ah well!  I'll have to make sure to catch it next year!  Then again, the way this thing grows, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up with all of it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning commute

Morning commute

Followers

Contributors